Seven architectural treasures of Walnut Hills will be opened to the public on May 8 during Cincinnati Preservation Association's (CPA) annual "Upstairs, Downstairs" spring home tour.
Included on the tour:
- 2312 Park Avenue: The Pogue Mansion, now home of design and engineering firm Vivian Llambi and Associates
- 1514 E McMillan Avenue: The Moorman House, built around 1860, on the National Register of Historic Places
- 2152 Alpine Place: The former home and studio of artists Herman and Bessie Wessel, built in 1887
- 1707 E McMillan Avenue: The Goodman House, a 5,000-square-foot mansion overlooking the Ohio River built in 1910
- 2324 Park Avenue #7: A condominium in the Cooper Historic Residences, built in 1928
- 2366 and 2386 Kemper Lane: Church of the Advent and Walnut Hills Baptist Church, respectively, both built around 1900 and considered endangered
Admission to the tour is $25 for CPA members and $30 for non-members and guests. Volunteers for the 12:35 P.M.-3 P.M. and the 2:45 P.M.-5 P.M. shifts can receive a complimentary tour ticket.
To purchase tickets, to volunteer, or for more information, call (513) 721-4506 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Walnut Hills, one of the earliest pioneer settlements in the area, took its name from the many walnut trees on the site. Originally purchased as a 130-acre tract by Reverend James Kemper in 1794, the community was annexed to Cincinnati between 1850 and 1870.
Photo credit: The Moorman House, courtesy of Cincinnati Preservation Association.
Previous reading on BC:
CPA's 'Upstairs, Downstairs' to feature homes of Uplands Historic District (5/6/09)